Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway Historic Vehicles Trust

caring for historically important railway vehicles at the LCLR - (Charity Registration Number 514443).

header photo

Sarah Ryalls (r) and her sister Rachel Foster (l) were invited to be guests of honour at the 2016 Gala of the LCLR to inaugurate this loco's return to service, bearing its new name – that of their late father: “Major J.A. Robins R.E.” .

Specially cast brass nameplates had been applied to the “Simplex” locomotive built by Motor Rail Ltd of Bedford (as their works number 8874) for the War Department in 1944. The 20 hp locomotive had been fitted with a wooden body when it was bought by the LCLR for use at its original site in Humberston near Grimsby, where it was named “Major”, regularly operating passenger services until closure in 1985. When the line relocated to the Skegness Water Leisure Park and reopened in 2009, it was chosen to haul the inaugural trains.

The late Major “Tubby” Robins took on the role of President of the LCLR's Historic Vehicles Trust, which was set up to preserve First World War trench railway vehicles, and offered a home for them to be restored and displayed in the Museum of Army Transport in Beverley, nearly 35 years ago.

The Trust had nameplates cast and presented one to “Tubby”. It was displayed at his funeral last year.